Thursday, April 07, 2005

Sprung spring

Spring has finally come to Minnesota, and not a moment too soon. It is funny to see my co-workers and friends sprinting to the door the minute that they think their emails are done and meetings finished for the day.

For me, this tends to make a number of my hobbies come to the forefront of my attention. Biking is pretty simple, assuming the weather is good. Suit up, strap on the shoes, and go go go. The other, softball, is a little more complicated. Because it involves others.

We have been having softball practices for the last week here. I generally enjoy the practices, but so far it has been one-sided to hitting. And that's OK. The problem is that it is essentially a home-run hitting competition for most involved. Guys that couldn't hit it to the fence with a missle are up there aiming for the fence. This neglects a number of things:
- fielding
- throwing
- situational (realistic) hitting
- baserunning
I think these four make up a lot of the game. But hey, its softball. And it is spring, which tends to cure many ills.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home