Sunday, October 09, 2005

Hello again

As fall finally rolls into Minnesota, I again find time for things like blogging since my cycling is seriously curtailed. Not so much because of the cold, but because of the rain. Given that the tires have a contact area with the road of about a dime (or likely less), the idea of sliding all over the road does not really appeal to me.

Anyways, I had the chance to somehow stumble onto a website for my brother's high school class. They graduated in 1995, one year after I did. Because of this it was very strange/interesting to read through some of the stuff on there. Initially, my interest was of the basic "where are they now?" type thing. I haven't seen some of them for 11 years, so trying to ascertain who was who, or reading what they are doing now was pretty strange. That interest passed pretty quickly, but left me somewhat thinking of where I have been since then. Mostly school, I guess.

The bigger thing I noticed is that my class has nothing like this. Where '95 was like some bigger family, or at least a bunch of chummy-type people, my '94 class was the height of catiness and class warfare. Although I went to college with a bunch of them (thank goodness for good state-school scholarships) I have not talked with them for 8-9 years. We have no website. And I don't know if I could care less. My recollections of high school only compose homework, debates, and general feelings of unhappiness. Such is life.

Still, interesting analogy. Generation X (me) vs. baby-boomlet (them). Leave me the crap alone vs. let's go for coffee and chat.

Second thought, I'd like some coffee after all. Thanks.

2 Comments:

Blogger demotivator said...

Hey butthead. Here's how you can improve. Go jump off a fricking bridge. Do you really think anyone will click on your site?!

October 10, 2005 at 7:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last September I, for the first time, attended one of my graduating classes reunion. It had been 30 years since we graduated. Although people view me as a very social person, I hadn't cared about attending any previous reunions, which were hardly more than expensive beer bashes. Once they chose a format that wouldn't see too many of my classmates ending up drunken, my wife and I decided to attend. And, we'll attend future reunions.
My point is that I had seen only a half-dozen of my classmates since our graduation, and only one of them more than once. Yet, we caught up on each others' lives, and now I have contact with several of them fairly regularly.
Circumstances in our lives change. We change attitudes and interests. Some of those changes cause us to long for relationships to be renewed or restored. It's a good thing, I think, to grow older, especially if we mature during the process. I'm glad for renewed friendships.
So, give it a few years. Or not. But, be open to the serendipitous moments life will bring. You just may end up starting that web page for your class. Or finding one started by a classmate you've forgotten. You just may find a friend as a result.

October 11, 2005 at 10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home